FEDERAL CHARACTER COMMISSION (ESTABLISHMENT, ETC) ACT
List of Subsidiary Legislation
- GUIDING PRINCIPLE AND FORMULAE
FOR THE DISTRIBUTION OF ALL CADRES OF POSTS
GUIDING PRINCIPLE AND FORMULAE FOR THE DISTRIBUTION OF ALL CADRES OF POSTS
- A. 1.23 OF 1997)
Under section 4 (1) (a)
( 2nd October, 1997 )
General principles and Formulae
Guiding principle and Formulae for the Distribution of Post
- Each State of the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory shall be equitably represented in all national institutions and in public enterprises organizations.
- The best and most competent persons shall be recruited from each State of the Federation to fill positions reserved for the indigenes of that State or the Federal Capital Territory.
- Once a candidate has attained the necessary minimum requirement for appointment to a position, he shall qualify to fill a relevant vacancy reserved for indigenes of his state or the Federal Capital Territory.
- Where the number of positions available cannot go round the States of the Federation or the Federal Capital, the distribution shall be on zonal basis but in the case where two positions are available, the positions shall be shared between the northern and the southern zones.
- Where the indigenes of a State or the Federal Capital Territory are not able to take up all the vacancies meant for them, the indigenes of any other State(s) or the Federal Capital territory within the same zone shall be given preference in filling such vacancies. Provided that where the zone to which the preference is given fails to take up such vacancy the indigenes from any other zone shall be considered for the appointment.
- Each State shall produce 2.75 per cent of the total work force in any Federal establishment while the Federal Capital Territory shall produce 1 percent for the indigenes of the federal capital territory provided that the Commission may adopt a range so that the indigenes of any state of the Federation shall not constitute less than the lower limit or more than the upper limit of the range as set out in paragraph 12(a).
- In the case of distribution on zonal basis the Commission shall adopt another range such that the indigenes of a particular zone shall not constitute less than the lower limit or more than the upper limit of the range as set out in paragraph 12 (b).
- The six zones shall consists of the following, that is—
- North Central – Benue, Federal Capital Territory, Kogi,
- North East – Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Taraba, Kwara, Nasarawa, Niger, Plateau, Yobe;
- North West – Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Sokoto, Zamfara;
- South East – Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu, Imo;
- South-South – Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Cross River, Delta, Edo, Rivers;
- South West – Ekiti, Lagos, Ogun, Ondo, Osun, Oyo;
- Depending on the number of States within each zone, the Commission shall adopt three rangers such that the indigenes of any State within a zone shall not constitute less than the lower limit or more than the upper limit of the range applicable to the zone as set out in paragraph 12(c).